Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Househunters International, Cocktail Edition"

When my husband was off work in December after a hernia operation, he lured me into a destructive hobby: Watching "Househunters" and "Househunters International" on HGTV. He even deigned to wake me up one night to announce "Honey, we're moving to Costa Rica."

I love the show, but there is one aspect of it that bothers me. It seems as if every couple who looks at one of the featured homes strolls out onto a deck or patio and announces, "This will be great to hang out on and have a glass of wine or cocktail."

What -- do you have to drink wine to own a patio or deck? Why is drinking symbolic of relaxing and having fun? Certainly I never learned to relax or have fun without drinking, which I guess is why this aspect of human nature bothers me. And it is the hardest to overcome.

My world glorifies drinking. How many times have I heard "Let's get together -- and I'll bring the wine"? Or, "What a hard day -- is it time for a glass of wine?" Every single invitation my husband and I receive is to an occasion to which copious drinking will occur. These guys are 40-50 years old! Why do they have to get drunk every weekend?

It's not that I begrudge people who drink, it's just that I hate how important drinking is in my world. It makes it a lot tougher when you choose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment