Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So it Begins

About eight years ago, I came to the realization that I had a problem with drinking. So started a nearly decade-long struggle to quit drinking -- which didn't work. Every time I quit I got bored, and it didn't fit my lifestyle. Or so I thought. But then, neither did throwing up at PTA fundraisers, passing out at my own parties, and driving impaired with my kids in the car. So I've battled, and 15 months ago I embarrassed myself in front of my kids -- scared them silly, actually -- and had my Come to Jesus moment (thanks to my next door neighbor Amy for that allusion). So far, so good, but I must say that living as a non-drinker in a drinking world is extremely difficult. And it makes me really pissed off sometimes. So even though I am a card-carrying member of Alcoholics Anonymous, I still need to work on that serenity business sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. A cord-carrying member? I didn't know AA had "cards". I am imagining something like:

    The holder of this card might (or might not) be a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Freudian slip "cord-carrying" because I think of AA as a life line to sanity. Sort of like an umbilical cord if you will.

    Activity ... that's what I do now instead of drink but it does limit the evening events, other than watching movies and that isn't very socialable. Guess I wasn't a big socializer to begin with but I can do it now without an alcoholic beverage in my hand.
    S

    ReplyDelete