Friday, March 6, 2009

Celebration Time

Without fail, in my past, whenever I celebrated, I did so with champagne.
Birthdays, weddings, graduations, promotions, good news -- pop went the cork. Celebrations meant drinking, and I did.

I had this fantasy. As a writer, one of my greatest goals was to be published in a national magazine. Not a rinky-dink local newspaper or a regional magazine, but a real magazine, like "O" or "Real Simple" or "Sports Illustrated." When I did, I would purchase one of those fancy bottles of Champagne with the flowers carved in the bottle. They cost about $60-$70, but I was worth it. And I would celebrate.

That hasn't happened yet. It may never. But I did get some great professional news this week, as my writing was honored with first place in a national contest. I was thrilled. And my first reaction was...I wanted a steak. I wanted to go out to dinner with my family at the local steakhouse, and celebrate with Shirley Temples, onion rings and a $24 slice of prime rib. The idea of drinking to celebrate this news never entered my mind.

And that is the real reason to celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations both for the recognition of your wonderfully readable writing and for wanting just the right kind of celebration! That was a perfect moment.
    Susan H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I didn't know you were a writer. It feels great to be recognized for our achievements. Where can we go to see your work?

    ReplyDelete